Vallejo Plastic Putty

Bobble heads, duck bills, and dragons that could never fly.

Vallejo Plastic Putty

Postby ADB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 am

While browsing Boyes (UK Hardware store come a bit of everything from clothes to fishing gear) I ended up near the model paints as one does and saw this plastic putty in the normal dropper bottle.

I've taken a punt (a grand £2 esp as my wife paid) thinking it may be like the liquid green stuff but the first impression is its a bit thicker.

I did find a few videos - this one where the guy is very happy with it compared to green stuff (slight bad language warning):

phpBB [media]

I'm a bit concerned over the 24 hour dry time so has anyone else used this on GW / Mantic models and any warnings before I dive in?
ADB

Re: Vallejo Plastic Putty

Postby connexion » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:18 am

I've been using the stuff for some years now and can't say I have any complaints. Never used liquid GS so I can't compare the 2 but:

- I've used l this to successfully cover and correct minor casting flaws and imperfect joints in multi-part models. It's certainly a quick and effective fix and easier to go to than rolling a bit of 2-part GS epoxy putty.

- I've also used it to build terrain effects and textures in small bases, like one would do with Agrellan Earth (but without the cracking)

24h drying time? For minor corrections 15 to 30 mins (if I'm feeling patient!) does the trick before I spray primer. Base texturing does need a longer drying time and 24h may be safe though at 6-8h you're probably good to go.
connexion

Re: Vallejo Plastic Putty

Postby ADB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks - I've not tried models yet but have found it does not stick to bare copper pipe!

I also used it to fill the middle of a 2mm pipe to a depth of 3mm and got about 50% shrinkage. Should have used Milliput...
ADB

Return to Where the Platypus Sculpt