The Next set of site enhancements

Site announcements, feedback, suggestions, complaints, and praise.

The Next set of site enhancements

Postby blackfly » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:46 pm

I just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate the list of suggestions that have been coming in of late, and while little has happened yet, I am working and researching behind the scenes.

1. A couple of the add-ons people have suggested seem really smart and useful- so far almost all of them depend on a new base system for the forum.
  2. The same upgrade that is needed for #1 is also just good practice, and will allow easier administration and expansion in the future, so I'm down to do it either way, but being able to satisfy some explicit requests makes it an even bigger win, and hopefully easier to swallow the cost. ;)
  3. The cost: The next upgrade is substantial, and things like the styles/skins and some other customizations i've made are completely incompatible and won't roll forward. This means i'll have to re-do some stuff. This means it could take some time.
  4. How long? I don't know yet. I'm going to try and get the site cloned shortly, and run through a test upgrade on the clone to see exactly how many things break, and how much it'll take to put things back together.
    I'd like to hope that it'll be no more than a day or a weekned of downtime, but I'll let you know once I get the testing done, and we'll plan accordingly.
    • The skin I can go ahead and develop on the clone site so I should be able to copy that over once the upgrade happens, and you won't have to have to put up with a place holder skin.
    • Depending on how much the skin system changes and how hard it is to port over, I may well have to narrow my efforts to just the green-black default skin. I know some of you preferred the red/black version and still use it, and I apologize in advance, but its' probably going to have to go away, based on my initial research into the new css set up.
    • Once we're up and running, I'll look at skins that are compatible from the ground up with the new version and maybe we can develop an alternate- though I'd probably prefer to focus on a clean/white skin, and a mobile/responsive skin first after getting the green/black rebuilt in the new model.
  5. While I haven't commented on the site-layout thread in a while, thats mostly because it seems to have reached a good quasi consensus among those voicing opinions, and I think I have enough to work with to make something that will partially please many people and completly satisfy no one :rofl: Such is the way of things.
  6. While much of the site details don't roll forward to the new version, the basic db structure will be there, so the layout changes can be done before or after the version upgrade, and the content will be migrated into new merged forums etc.
  7. Same for the requests and offers to step up and moderate forums and sub forums. I'm all for them, I just want to get the new layout in place and then we'll set up the mods for the individual new forums. It'll be easier than making more mods now for forum/subforum names that won't exist after the layout change.

Anyway, thats where that stuff is. I'll let you know as things get closer, and I have more details. Thanks for your ideas, participation, and patience.
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work