Things to do in (or near ) London, Part II.

A receptacle for what's left over when you've sucked the life out of the good stuff. You can freak out and argue over whatever comes to mind.

Things to do in (or near ) London, Part II.

Postby blackfly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:25 pm

So, we're invading again!

As the time gets nearer, Ms Blackfly and I are trying to sort out what we want to do, so I thought I'd put out the call for suggestions. Anything you'd suggest we'd certainly be happy to consider. Any random stuff that might not be on the top-tourist list, or just cool parts of town, or places that'd be worth stringing together in a day trip out and back or anything.

We've already done:
Tower, Westminster, Natl Gallery, Salisbury, Avebury, Rochester Castle, South Bank, Camden Market, Burrough Market, British Museum, Cue Gardens... off the top of my head.

I'll be working in Chertsey for a week, so Ms Blackfly will have a lot more time to wander, and I know she's considering doing Windsor Castle, and Greenwich(unless I make her wait for me for that one). We're staying near Waterloo station for convenience.

We've also got a few days already planned to head out through the Cotswolds, maybe dip into Wales and see Caerphilly castle or something else easternish.

Looking a day trip to either Oxford or Cambridge perhaps on recommendations from the Shed, gotta read more and see if either sounds more fun/interesting than the other.

We like history, but also just cool wandering interesting winding neighborhoods (remember, everything is magical and Downton Abbey to us, being from the colonies). We loved the mayhem of Camden, and snacking our way through Burrough market, and stopping for a pint in the mad press when everyone gets out of work, as much as the mellow quiet of wandering through fields of rapeseed and picnicking in the shadow of stones at Avebury. We've also both been known to happily take a bus or tube to find a neat place to have a good meal or a fancy cocktail if the moment strikes us. She is a fan of counrtrysides and gardens moreso than I. :D

So.. anything you care to caution us against as terrible, or pet favorite that might recommend we consider, would be greatly appreciated. :thumb: :beardy: :beer:
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work

Join the conversation in The Shed

The hole is only as deep as you dig it.
-AKULA
blackfly

Re: Things to do in (or near ) London, Part II.

Postby wait, what? » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 pm

York is the definition of winding neighbourhoods. Just about day trippable too, and the station is on the annoying side of walkable to town centre but still very much so.

Bath different but also day trippable and worthy.

Hampton Court palace.

Cambridge >>> Oxford imho, but either way.

(edit more here as I think of it)
Brave you all!
What a superb game this is and will become, my prediction was weak and we will be many more.
Thank you all and see you again here, in breathing life, never where popular opinion dies
- Prodos Shill #4
wait, what?

Postby Merlin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:14 am

What about booking into a B&B and spending the weekend in the New Forest?
On the way there or back you can tie that up with a trip into Portsmouth and a look around HMS Victory.

Do you like landscapes and the sublime? If so, then what about avoiding some of the more obvious tourist spots and try visiting the places British people like to visit - just up the Essex coast you have Orfordness Nature Reserve - as bleak and beautiful as anywhere you'll find. Ideal for re-charging the batteries. Carry on up the coast and you'll come to Southwold. It might be a good experience to do those 'little' places as well as the 'big' tourist traps. I reckon you'd get a lot more out of your British adventure than going to some of those other places you've mentioned. That's just me though.

Near Waterloo, eh? Walk along the south bank and visit The Globe and Tate Modern. Or cross the wibbly wobbly bridge for a gander around St Pauls. Oh yeah, and just down the road from Waterloo, in Lambeth, is the Imperial War Museum. You could look around that then down the Old Kent Road into Greenwich!
Merlin

Postby ADB » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 pm

Agree with th Globe - make sure you rent cushions and sit down.

See if you can watch something in Regents Park open air theatre and pop to see the home of Holmes around the corner.

For a day trip by train try Newark - a great civil war site and tour

Try Legoland (fun even without kids) out by Windsor

Further out you could try Monkey World on the south coast (fair way out though) or Longleat Safari Park
ADB

Postby mcfonz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Longleat and Bath if that direction.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Rev Nice » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Have a really big slap up meal. A veritable banquet.
And then visit this place:

https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/museums-and-ar ... an-museum/

Should probably take a paper bag.
Rev Nice

Postby mcfonz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 pm

When you say a mighty feast there is always:

http://www.medievalbanquet.com/

ImageImage
ImageImage
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby EX-F » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Merlin wrote:What about booking into a B&B and spending the weekend in the New Forest?
On the way there or back you can tie that up with a trip into Portsmouth and a look around HMS Victory.

The whole of Portsmouth historic dockyard is worth a visit if you are down in that direction. HMS Victory, the Mary Rose and HMS Warrior are all fascinating to me.

And stop off at Porchester Castle if you go that way too.
I was me, but now he's gone.
Member #2 of the PLACWOC club.
EX-F

Postby blackfly » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:30 am

really digging all the variety, thanks!
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work