Cait Sidhe's Sculpting Log

Bobble heads, duck bills, and dragons that could never fly.

Re: Cait Sidhe's Sculpting Log

Postby Artemis Black » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:34 pm

The hairs not terrible, your elbow has gone all Tre though.
Artemis Black
Kickstarter Slayer

Postby Mr Brown » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:18 am

Looking good mate. Obviously some niggles there which you've mentioned but I like the posing.

On a critical note, I think a lot of where I see problems will iron out as you get more practise and confidence in your work. You've started with a few areas that are obviously going to be hard to sculpt first time round like hair and musculature. This can be hidden under loose clothing and head gear or male pattern baldness. In saying that, clothing brings its own problems... Additionally the scaling seems odd with the use of such a big axe. Normally you'd expect a far meatier barbarian or road warrior type so bias kicks in. A thinner pole arm might have set off the overall look better.

Now where is my Illithid!? :)
Mr Brown

Postby Cait Sidhe » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Right, back to it and trying to do multiple at once to speed things along.

First up I wanted to try using one of the many Hasslefree armatures I have laying around. The armature presented it's own issues as the hips can't be reposed without chopping as they're too thick so pose is rather static. The armature is already sort of bulked out but not enough to get away with not doing it so I kinda had to adapt a bit. Not remotely apparent at this point but he's going to be some kind of Cyberpunk corporate agent type.

ImageImage

Second sculpt is using polymer clay instead of GS, Beesputty to be exact. This guy will be my own take based on a Kingdom Death mini that was perfect for a warband I'm putting together, unfortunately KD turned out to be 40mm so I want a smaller version.

ImageImage

And finally some 20mm attempts using armatures I got from Table Warfare. The poses are pretty extreme but there wasn't many of the more normal poses available (these are just what they had left after I contacted them since they don't sell them anymore).

Cait Sidhe

Postby CrumbReaper » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:44 pm

nice progress! Table Warfare are working on a new set of dollies which I'm looking forwards to as I'm not very patient with the whole
wire and bulking process!
CrumbReaper

Postby countersunk81 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:16 am

Nice work on those, the bulking out looks great, That'll tand you in really good stead down the line.
countersunk81

Postby Cait Sidhe » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Back to a bit of sculpting, ended up ripping the left arm off the agent and redoing it as it was kinda a mess and also twisted the wrong way for the pose.

ImageImage

20mm is a pain and I think I've overcompensated on the torso a bit as the armatures are quite small compared to the 20mm drivers I had comissioned. Arms a bit long as well and the legs short (though not as short as the photos look with the foreshortening).

ImageImage
Cait Sidhe

Postby countersunk81 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:45 am

I think that's looking great so far. Only quibble I'd have is that the outstretched arms look slightly double jointed at the moment, more so on the guy standing straight.
countersunk81

Postby Cait Sidhe » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm going to be dressing this guy in a suit and I don't intend to make nude resin casts so I'm not going to into any more detail with the musculature. Also still can't do faces but he'll be getting shades. :)

ImageImage

Started bulking out another of the 20mm guys as well...

ImageImage

...and because I wasn't slow enough already I started on a Herglic (think whale man) as well...

Cait Sidhe

Postby Cait Sidhe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:18 am

Wow it's been like 5 months since I did sculpting... well been back to it a bit.

I picked up a Heroclix Groot to use for super games but unfortunately the mini had an odd reaction to acetone used to strip the paint off and his face and arm peeled off as well. I posted it in the thread a little while back but I resculpted the destroyed bits.

Redoing Groot got me to pick up some of the sculpts I was working on again, the agent looks a bit like a chipendale at the moment but I wanted to do the bits of shirt that will show under his suit jacket. :) I redid his face as well but now his nose is way too big...

Cait Sidhe

Postby Cait Sidhe » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:53 am

A little bit more progress... and some big ears to go with his big nose. :P

Cait Sidhe

Postby countersunk81 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:07 am

Good work redoing Groot!
THe other fella is coming along well :)
countersunk81

Postby Cait Sidhe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Redone the face, added cyberpunk visor so i don't need to redo the eyes though. :P

Edit: Just replaced the images with the final version since it wasn't much different.

ImageImage
Cait Sidhe

Previous

Return to Where the Platypus Sculpt