[special BAL] The Meryl Tankathon Challenge

Show us your latest painted marvel. Share techniques. Debate color theory.

[special BAL] The Meryl Tankathon Challenge

Postby mcfonz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:54 pm

So there we were, in the shed, one day at the start of the summer, innocently chatting away. Gomez then chirped up about throwing some old knackered gaming stuff away. He then said this included three Leman Russ tanks from GW which he said were beyond rescue. A couple of us chirped up that nothing is beyond rescue, and at the very least they were terrain-able!

This led to peer pressure from the very top brass of platypus high chambers and Gomez rescued said tanks from the bin. Three people then took up the mantle of the challenge to rescue the tanks and turn them into something useful for the gaming table, myself, Soldado and Wait, What.

As if the challenge itself wouldn't be tough enough. Gomez had his fair lady apply some laws of physics to them making them even harder to salvage and then set the additional task.

What is the 'additional task' you may ask? Well we couldn't just salvage them, we had to choose a theme. The theme choices were limited, again by Gomez, to the titles of Meryl Streep movies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_Str ... _and_stage

So, with the challenge firmly set, and all three participants now in receipt of their piles of broken tank - the salvaging is to commence. I'm not sure of a time limit at this point but all participants should post WIP shots and be subject to people pestering them as to how their build is coming on.

PS - BAL = Build-A-Long! 8)
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Re: [special BAL] The Meryl Tankathon Challenge

Postby blackfly » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Lets see some grisly Before pics of the state of these Meryl Streeps straight from the rubbish heap, so we can fully appreciate the After pics!

Also, this a properly nerdy endeavor... hats off in advance to you all!

:beardy: :froth: :beer:
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work

Join the conversation in The Shed

The hole is only as deep as you dig it.
-AKULA
blackfly

Postby soldado » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Can I just say that I got "Volunteered" for this? no! damn, here is mine as received.

All of it

A close up of the turret

For the pixially impaired I have reduced the size of the image by half.
Last edited by soldado on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby blackfly » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Maybe the term you're looking for is press ganged? :D

Join the conversation in The Shed

The hole is only as deep as you dig it.
-AKULA
blackfly

Postby wait, what? » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:12 am

Mine (brio not included in challenge): Image

No sponsons (like sol), main gun is a metal demolisher (which often tips the thing from personal experience) so that needs replacing, and obviously one of the track units is torn in half and actually sheared as well.

The traditional paths for an ex tank are ork, nurgle, or scenery/vignette of wreckage. In the spirit of proving Gomez as foolish as possible I figure the thing should be restored to a serviceable game unit if at all possible, so I'm ruling the scenery path out. The thing isn't that covered in thick paint/glue and I have more orky bitz anyway, so I'm going to try the looted tank path.

As for Meryl, I was thinking of working that Gerald Scarfe cartoon into it and doign "The Iron Lady" but that seems more blanchey/chaosy, and besides doesn't that pic scream Kramer vs Kramer to you?
Brave you all!
What a superb game this is and will become, my prediction was weak and we will be many more.
Thank you all and see you again here, in breathing life, never where popular opinion dies
- Prodos Shill #4
wait, what?

Postby soldado » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:33 am

Actually Wait, What? that pic scream vertigo because of the conflicting perspectives, but thats Googles fault.

As Im not using the turret off've mine do you want the plastic battle cannon?
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby wait, what? » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:12 pm

soldado wrote:Actually Wait, What? that pic scream vertigo because of the conflicting perspectives, but thats Googles fault.

As Im not using the turret off've mine do you want the plastic battle cannon?

Nah, doesn't feel in the right spirit - plus I have an orky zap thing that might work.
Brave you all!
What a superb game this is and will become, my prediction was weak and we will be many more.
Thank you all and see you again here, in breathing life, never where popular opinion dies
- Prodos Shill #4
wait, what?

Postby mcfonz » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:05 pm

As you can see, I seem to have been lucky with the tracks in that they are almost intact bar one track which has damage to the two points, pretty hefty damage at that.

The base plate for the hull is ok, but the top piece is broken in half with the rear section basically the pile of 'bits' you can see on the right. The turret is also far more gone than it looks. There is a break to the turret base which could be fixable. The turret itself is also cracked and I am unsure whether it is worth trying to fix.

I'm debating rebuilding it altogether using the hull bottom plate as a base and repair the tracks.

My initial thought was to scratch build a turret like the one Soldado has, for use with my Nova Fed. So we'll see what I can come up with. Will search my bits boxes for parts. I think a lot will depend on what I can find to transform it. I'll hold off the Streep title at this point, although it looks like Wait, What has got in quick and taken "Iron Lady" so it rules that one out for me . . . . although maybe too obvious?
mcfonz

Postby mcfonz » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Work begins on getting that track sorted out:
mcfonz

Postby wait, what? » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:38 pm

Unless the scarfe thing comes out well I think Iron Lady is free.
Brave you all!
- Prodos Shill #4
wait, what?

Postby soldado » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Looking good Fonzie

For the theme name, i'm planning on making this as loyalist as possible and using the film "Death Becomes her'esy"

Here are 2 Wips from this weekend

First the turret not much to say here as its a fairly large resin block to replace the pancaked one. I had this lying around after I won it in a competition on Beasts of War.

I've added some bits from the bits that came in the bag to make some spaced armour, I'm debating putting some anti rocket mesh around the turret.

The Hull has gone back together fairly well although getting the turret ring to realign has been a pain.

The white boxes are spacers so that I can add the track, as the wreck had none with it and genuine GW Leman Russ track seems expensive on ebay I opted to use 1/35 scale King Tiger track which is 24mm wide as opposed to the 10mm or so of the original.

For the pixially impaired I have reduced the size of the images by half.
Last edited by soldado on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soldado

Postby blackfly » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:14 am

whoa, thats going to looks massive soldado! I'm curious to see how it shakes out.

Fantastic stuff all of you!