OSL Paint-Along with Duff ( Statuesque Lilly Poots )

Show us your latest painted marvel. Share techniques. Debate color theory.

OSL Paint-Along with Duff ( Statuesque Lilly Poots )

Postby blackfly » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Duff has offered to do an OSL step by step here. Several folks are preparing to follow along with Lillie Poots, from Statuesque Miniatures. If you have one, get it ready! If you don't have one, get one!

Over you to Duff. . . . :)
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work

Join the conversation in The Shed

The hole is only as deep as you dig it.
-AKULA
blackfly

Re: OSL Paint-Along with Duff ( Statuesque Lilly Poots )

Postby countersunk81 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:25 am

Excellent, I am so on this!
countersunk81

Postby Duff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Right, quiet down at the back. Would you do that at home McFonz? No I didn't think so, so kindly refrain from doing it here.

I'm going to do a fairly rough and ready paint job on these miniatures in the hope they will more clearly illustrate what I'm doing (and hopefully not take up too much time that should be spent on paying work). I'll look to clean up the brush work later. When doing OSL, going back and redoing some areas is almost inevitable as you work out the light positioning correctly, so don't panic.

The conventional OSL technique that seems to be used these days is to paint the light source and then add a thin wash of the same colour thinly around the area. While that is ok for very small, dim light sources, personally I think it is shit for proper OSL. In the same way most NMM is crap because no effort is put into actually painting how metal reflects light and you just get swords and armour that look like stone, if you want the effect to fool the eye you have to paint the colours properly, not use a cheap shortcut that doesn't really work anyway.

First thing is some reference photos to work from. I was hoping to use a photo of my daughter, but she told me to get stuffed, so you'll have to put up with a picture of this dashing fellow instead.

I've done a zenithal undercoat on the figure (the hair has been removed).

I'm using the figure for a diorama which will involve two light sources, the lamp and moonlight, so I need to work out my figure placement to get the OSL to fool the eye properly.
Duff

Postby Duff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

I'll start with Lillie's face. I've painted her right eye with buff and given her a navy blue iris, while using white and pale blue for the left eye. I've also added a dot of white to the left iris as a reflection of the lamp. I used some dark wash on the right side of the face in the last photo to darken further as well. Unfortunately the photos haven't picked up the highlighting too well but hopefully you can get the idea.
As a general rule, as I want the light source to be a yellow light, I have been lightening all the colours that receive direct light with buff rather than white, while any highlighting to shaded areas receiving moonlight will be with a blue grey off white (VGC wolf grey)

On to the coat next. First the dark colour that will not be receiving any light from the lamp.

Then we add the base colour for the areas receiving direct light.
After that we build up some highlights.
I've added some highlights on the dark areas which will hopefully look like moon light shining on her from behind to the right of the figure.

The pinafore next. I've painted in the dark areas that will be in shadow first. Always try to think which direction the light source is coming from.

Then the tights. The shadow cuts diagonally across her shins. Ill be adding further highlights to the tights.
Duff

Postby Duff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:34 pm

The nutters creeping up on her get the same treatment. At the moment I am highlighting them individually, but I expect to be painting shadows across some areas later as I work out more precisely how their positions and Lillie's body block light.

I block in the base tones for the illuminated and shadow areas first.

Then I start building up the highlights on the illuminated areas. The light source is lower than their faces so I am not highlighting top down, but from almost straight on.

Then I worked up the dark sides. I also started on their gowns. The light side will be dramatically paler in tone when painted.
Duff

Postby paintinglittlesoldiers » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks for that !
paintinglittlesoldiers

Postby countersunk81 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:12 am

This is ace - loads of points I'd just not think of... Will get Lily out at the weekend and give it a go.
countersunk81

Postby gi6ers » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 pm

I never add shading at such an early stage, definitely something to think on.

I have to be honest, I don't think the zenithal priming is adding anything to the painting. If you were using a lighter, less opaque basecoat it might 'shine' through or am I missing the point?
gi6ers

Postby Duff » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:42 am

I mainly use it because it gives a way of seeing where top down highlighting should go. I do it habitually now, but a solid one colour undercoat works just as well when doing something like this.
Duff

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:11 pm

Duff wrote:I expect to be painting shadows across some areas later as I work out more precisely how their positions and Lillie's body block light.

I was wondering that. Middle fella's arm might be blocking the light to tonsured fella's back. Looking forward to this :)
Badger Loving Fluffster

Postby Rev Nice » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 pm

Britains least successful Shipwreck Museum wrote: Image
"Arrrrrrrrrrrr! Their ship were wrecked in this very room! Just behind the sofa! Not man, woman or child survived! We tried to search for the poor devils with this very lamp but the carpet had swallowed 'em up already! Arrr. The sea be a cruel mistress. Do ye want to see the gift shop now?
Rev Nice

Postby Voltan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:15 pm

GIFT SHOP!
GIFT SHOP!!!!
Voltan

Postby Warburton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:06 am

Great stuff - thanks for posting this!
Warburton

Postby matt3o » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:38 pm

very interesting! thanks for sharing!
matt3o

Postby levied troop » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks for this Roy, I've got this figure so when I've got the move out of the way I'll be trying to apply this technique.

Fortunately I've got two figures.
levied troop

Postby spear » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:52 am

Thanks for agreeing to do this Roy.

I have mine now primed - looking at your pictures I didn't appreciate just how tiny she is.

Fortunate that there is a discount if you buy more than one.

The flesh on the last but one loony is great.
spear

Postby paintinglittlesoldiers » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:03 am

I'm behind the times and my figure arrived today.

This miniature is tiny ! Will hopefully have a crack tonight and take some photos - thanks again Duff.

I don't even know what OSL etc are so good to get some exposure as to what is what from people in the know.
paintinglittlesoldiers

Postby Mr Tough Guy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:18 am

Mine arrived yesterday, but will be a while before will try to paint her. Also received the first Figopedia book on painting and the first one is all about lighting and colour, very useful stuff but maybe a bit too therotical, and while there's lot's of info on zentihal lighting and directional lighting, there's nothing specific about OSL (not after a first browse at least) so having you do a step by step is much appreciated
Mr Tough Guy

Postby blackfly » Sun May 03, 2015 11:14 pm

We going to see any more on this one Duff? Hoping you're just busy with other stuff. :)
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work