Shield Damage Tutorial.

Tips, walkthroughs, techniques. Share your knowledge, or learn a new way to do something.

Shield Damage Tutorial.

Postby mcfonz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 am

Originally I had hunted an online tutorial to help me start the process, but I couldn't find one beyond a very basic black line with a white highlight. Instead I looked at a few images and went for what I thought would logically replicate them. I was aiming for something looking a bit like these:

I didn't want the actual transfers due to being too Christian orientated - these miniatures are for a fantasy army.

The Start:
Shield painted white and given a light coat of miniature paints gloss (by hand) for easier application of the transfer. Transfer applied.

Step 1:
Different miniature in case it throws you. I used a dark brown to represent cuts in the material that lines the shield. Don't do too many. I possibly went a little over the top with a couple of my initial attempts. Try and imagine how the damage has been created. Hacks at the defender, or thrusts with the shield itself.

Step 2:
Army Painter Soft Tone applied to the areas around the brown 'cuts' and other areas to suggest weathering and wear.

Step 3:
Army Painter Strong Tone applied to smaller areas to add a bit of depth to some of the weathering. At this point it doesn't matter if you go a bit OTT but again, I think in some instances I did. However, it's easy to fix.

Step 4:
White - apply white to the edges of the slashes, and highlight the edges of the shield. It looks quite rough as it is here. But you can already see how it is starting to add a bit of depth and suggestion of layers. I tend to go round once and then a second time to make other areas whiter than at first as well.

Step 5:
Neaten it up. I went back around with black to reduce some of the white around the slashes so they were not so thick. I think it helps give the impression of flayed material around the cuts.

Hopefully this is of use to some people who have been looking for ways of painting damage/weathering to their own shielded miniatures. I haven't tried this on any colour other than white yet mind you. Although I should imagine it would work.

Materials used:

Army Painter Paintbrushes: Wargamer: Detail and Hobby: Precise Detail.
Army Painter Paints: Soft Tone and Strong Tone
Other paints: Miniature Paints Chocolate Brown and White.
Transfers: http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/
Miniature is a plastic Gripping Beast Saxon Thegn with a metal Gripping Beast late Roman oval shield and a metal West Wind Romano British head.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Re: Battle damage and weathering on white shields.

Postby Israel Hands » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 am

Excellent tutorial and a great effect.

One question though, what the fuck are Strong Tone & Soft Tone? Are they brown inks?
"Not gods, but Englishmen, the next best thing"

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

Not related to KingSkin on FU:UK

Israel Hands

Re: Battle damage and weathering on white shields.

Postby mcfonz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 am

Israel Hands wrote:Excellent tutorial and a great effect.

One question though, what the fuck are Strong Tone & Soft Tone? Are they brown inks?

Yes - sorry, I should have said that in there. Light brown and a darker brown wash/ink. Although they are almost a varnish in feel.
mcfonz

Re: Shield Damage Tutorial.

Postby Duff » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Nice stuff Matt. You don't need to add the white line above the cut though, just the one below.
Duff

Postby Mr Tough Guy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:54 pm

great tutorial, and great lookings shields
Mr Tough Guy

Postby mcfonz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Duff wrote:Nice stuff Matt. You don't need to add the white line above the cut though, just the one below.

Thanks, I'll try that on the next one I do, I can always go back and neaten them off and then edit the tutorial.

Surprised I couldn't find anything at all in terms of a guide on-line.
mcfonz

Postby demi_morgana » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Thanks for that mate, hope to practice it shortly.
demi_morgana

Postby Silent Invader » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:51 am

Really useful tute, thanks.
Silent Invader

Postby geronimo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:58 am

Properly effective, good work fella.
geronimo

Postby Roger Thelodger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Duff wrote:Nice stuff Matt. You don't need to add the white line above the cut though, just the one below.

depends on the type of cut doesn't it?

if its a slash where both edges have curled the top would have a highlight, shadow inside the cut, and a highlight on the bottom cut edge?
Roger Thelodger

Postby mcfonz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:05 pm

geronimo wrote:Properly effective, good work fella.

Wabbit is not far off on the pile . . . . Friend or foe? No one knows!
mcfonz

Postby Duff » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Roger Thelodger wrote:

depends on the type of cut doesn't it?

if its a slash where both edges have curled the top would have a highlight, shadow inside the cut, and a highlight on the bottom cut edge?

Only if you paint in the curled flap of cover as well. Representing that sort of detail is way beyond a tutorial of this sort. The upper line is simply unnecessary to represent shield damage on a 28mm wargaming piece, what you are talking about is the sort of thing you might consider doing on a 75mm Andrea figure.

Duff

Postby mcfonz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:41 pm

I tried it, and to be honest, it just didn't seem to work. Perhaps it is because where the slashes cross the black there is no clear indication of the edge of the cut. I have gone round and tried to really minimise the white line on the black areas, on the white areas it is less clear anyway. I think it is the colour combination more than anything else.
mcfonz

Postby Duff » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:47 am

mcfonz wrote:I think it is the colour combination more than anything else.

Exactly right. I try to avoid white shields if I'm going to do battle damage. A buff field is better.
Duff

Postby Adster » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:50 am

Really useful. Do you use anything on top of decals to smooth out the harsh edge, where a transfer doesn't go all the way to the edge?
Adster

Postby mcfonz » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:00 pm

I try to break it up a bit with the washes and then go back around with white at the end. To be honest I don't find it to be too harsh after the washes and the revealed wood have been painted in.

I do put a layer of paint on MP Gloss varnish first which makes it easier to apply the transfers and manouvre them about a bit before letting them dry. I guess that also goes someway to disguise it.
mcfonz

Postby ALizardInCrimson » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:04 pm

THANK YOU!!!!
caffeine. cold dead hands. blah blah blah. you get it
ALizardInCrimson

Return to How To