Possible Salute Game: Xenomorph - All Out War

Discuss the most unrealistic aspects of your favorite war games

Re: Possible Salute Game: Xenomorph - All Out War

Postby mcfonz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Seems to be working on these. No issues so far at any rate. I believe this is pvc. Cheap and readily available.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby countersunk81 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Looking superb...
countersunk81

Postby soldado » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 pm

If you need it to flesh the terrain out I have all this that I can get sorted, I do have a lot more of the Tehnolog Hexagon terrain still in boxes if you need structures large or small

Imgur Album
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby mcfonz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Just thought I would throw down a couple of concepts for this take on AOW. We played a couple of playtests for these games last night with some success and definite adjustments to be made.

Xeno placement:

So rather than placing xeno's (read 'walkers') the idea is that 'blip tokens' are placed. So, for example, we played 200 point games and the set up looked something like this to start off with (the green gems were 'supply crates'):

Blips enter play as walkers would in the original. So if event cards demand it, they are placed or moved onto the board.

Detecting Blips:
There are three ways to detect blips.
1) Any blip token within a characters Kill zone and line of site at any point in their turn is 'spotted'.
2) Cleanse by fire, those shadows are too shifty to just trust, if the character has a ranged weapon they can fire at a blip token. If they score at least one hit the blip is spotted. Keep the die roll as if any xenos are revealed they roll defense die as normal Vs that roll. If no hits are rolled the blip counter remains un-spotted. Must have just been a shadow.
3) Motion scanner - each team has a motion scanner, the character carrying it can use it for 1 action. Pick two blip tokens within 10" of the character and detect them. These do not have to be in line of site, after all, that's what the motion scanner is for!!

Once blip tokens are spotted:
Last night we simply used one of the red AOW mantic dice. So it was possible for the blip to be nothing, one or two xenos. It seemed to work quite nicely in that it made for some incredibly tense moments and people praying that the blip was nothing . . . .

So the overall feeling we had was whether it was worth having a blip deck, rather than rolling a dice, have a stack of cards which is a little more controllable than perhaps randomly rolling four 2's on the trot. But would also allow us to add in some mission objectives.

One of which being being Billie;

We could also possibly add in special xeno's as well with more wounds etc. But generally would just let us play around with xeno numbers nicely.

Xeno's Vs Walkers:
Xeno's can traverse obstacles like humans. So they still move in straight lines but rather than stopping when they run into something, they roll a black die to see if they can get across it. And then move the distance needed if they pass or stop there if they fail. This is to reflect that xenos can move a bit faster and are not mindless husks of the living that just walk into stuff. Otherwise they are the same.

What do you folks think?
mcfonz

Postby countersunk81 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:16 pm

The deck idea sounds great, I really like that. And again, the better mobility of the Xenos is a good idea. Spot on so far ;)
countersunk81

Postby mcfonz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:46 pm

mcfonz wrote:Seems to be working on these. No issues so far at any rate. I believe this is pvc. Cheap and readily available.

Well after doing a bit of mould making (more on that at a later date) I had a look at the pipes again - it appears that whilst some seem to have stuck, and stuck well, other sections of the plasticard have come away and not stuck at all. Looks like super glue may have to be the answer!
mcfonz

Postby Daemon-forge » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Was a fun few games, very hit and miss at one point! the card system i think will help with the flow of the game as Fonz said rolling a red die and getting 2 2's was not fun lol.
Daemon-forge

Postby mcfonz » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:37 pm

RIght so working on this piece at the moment:
ImageImageImage

One of the concepts we are working on at the moment is that we will be treating the 6x3 table as two 3x3 tables put together for the purposes of the 'danger' tracker (read threat) and event decks. So this and another much shallower version (the end I cut off this one to make it flush with the ground) will become spawn points along the centre line of the board to represent the edges that would otherwise be there. Partially to ensure that xenos become involved still and there isn't this dead zone in the middle which is much safer and devoid of 'action'. With that in mind, I am wanting this to look more like an entry / exit point for games. So I have come up with a couple of ideas - a simpler ripped open mesh look or a mesh gated affair. At the moment both will have the disc I cut painted black with the odd pair of yellow eyes glaring out. So which do you think would be better? A or B (apologies for the very rough concept scribbles!):

A:

B:
mcfonz

Postby ADB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 pm

I like those. For me the traditional ripped fencing seems better and more true.

I mean ‘come on now, what bad guy plans maintenance hatches’ in his lair? :)
ADB

Postby mcfonz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:30 pm

It's certainly less faff and indeed would look a little more sinister and broken out of. Rather than nice Mrs Xeno shut the door behind herself politely!!!

Right so in terms of the 'survivors' I have in mind that at a maximum this game can have 6 players. I think that is pushing it to be honest, but it should be doable. With that in mind, I thought that the players should have access to three characters. So I set myself the task of looking at suitable characters that also represent the range of characters Hasslefree sell (this game being for their table):

Lets start off with one trooper per squad:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

So then we need 12 characters to make up the rest:
ImageImageImageImage

That's as far as I have got so far, I have a capt.Isseki I was thinking of adding to them? Any other suggestions?
mcfonz

Postby mcfonz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Used the pipe as a test run for the hairspray weathering and colour scheme for the pipes. I figured that seeing as the ground is going to be a bit like the red sand type Bladerunner 2049 scenes they might go for a red that blends in somewhat. I will add pigment to this at a later date
mcfonz

Postby ADB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:22 am

That’s really worked well!
ADB

Postby mcfonz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 pm

mcfonz wrote:Lets start off with one trooper per squad:

So then we need 12 characters to make up the rest:

That's as far as I have got so far, I have a capt.Isseki I was thinking of adding to them? Any other suggestions?

Right, list updated and somewhat finalised.
mcfonz

Postby steders » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:26 pm

McFonz, that's a great idea to use Walking dead rules for xenos< consider it stolen
steders

Previous

Return to The War Room