Fantasy Naval wargames

Discuss the most unrealistic aspects of your favorite war games

Fantasy Naval wargames

Postby TwoGunBob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Man O' War, Dread Fleet, Uncharted Seas... Maybe some other i'm missing but it seems like there's always talk about how awesome the games are but they usually go *pop* in the commercial market in short order. Guess it's the local club pulling out Dreadfleet this weekend compounded with Spartan Games shuttering its doors but was wondering what fellow platyputian residents thought on the genre.

I'm thinking back and Man O' War was 'before' my time in that I never had enough pocket money to buy miniatures. Generally I think I looked at the games and thought the mini were overpriced for what they were really. Looking over the Uncharted Seas figures they do seem a bit uninspired compared to Man O' War minis that preceded them by more than a decade.

Thoughts? Any new naval fantasy games I've missed? Just kind of on my brain today.
TwoGunBob

Re: Fantasy Naval wargames

Postby Voltan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Man O' war was a lot of fun, simple rules but very tactical and the basic release fleets were balanced to each other, the expansions screwed the balance and there was only so much you could do with releases so it died. I was going to look into uncharted seas, but couldn't get past the miniatures which looked bland and as if someone had sat on them before casting, so I never got round to the rules. Those were mu thoughts and I know not of any other games.
Voltan

Postby Cait Sidhe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:58 pm

I really love the idea of a fantasy naval game but with Man-O-War being super OP and Dreadfleet having... a less than stellar rules reputation I've never played one. I was tempted by Uncharted Seas a while back but like you say the ships are dull and uninspired and I think there was rumblings about Spartan's treatment of their games.

I have Fighting Sail from osprey which is fairly simple naval rules that could probably be bodged into fantasy, but the issue is ships. Ral Partha EU do some but they're not amazing.
Cait Sidhe

Postby mcfonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 pm

I used to love the Pirates of the _________ pocket models game. It started off being Caribbean and then turned into something else when, presumably, the license ran out.

Very simple rules that gave a decent amount of tactical challenge and was relatively quick. Not sure how available the rules were and the cards had all the ship special rules. No idea if there is any online resource for them sadly.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Cait Sidhe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:38 pm

mcfonz wrote:I used to love the Pirates of the _________ pocket models game. It started off being Caribbean and then turned into something else when, presumably, the license ran out.

Very simple rules that gave a decent amount of tactical challenge and was relatively quick. Not sure how available the rules were and the cards had all the ship special rules. No idea if there is any online resource for them sadly.

It was Pirates of the Spanish Main, at least the original set with other expansions have different names. There was a licenced Pirates of the Caribbean set but it was years after the original stuff released. I still have a huge pile of them, ironically from boxes of boosters I bought to use the ships for Fighting Sail given that actual 1/1200 ship minis are super expensive. :)
Cait Sidhe

Postby ADB » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 am

mcfonz wrote:I used to love the Pirates of the _________ pocket models game. It started off being Caribbean and then turned into something else when, presumably, the license ran out.

Have a look at Boadgame Geek - they have a full PDF of the rules and a forum post here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/68447/complete-rule-set-version-13 with a text posting.
ADB

Postby Mr Brown » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 am

I really like a number of naval rules - Fire as She Bares would be a nice little example. Game rules for the Age of Sail in general are pretty common and their will be at least one that you could make fit whilst adding in some fantastical flavour would be relatively easy. The big kicker is the lack of alternative fantasy ships. I think its too niche for any one company to go in for.

I picked up a lot of Tumbling Dice 1/4800 ships cause a mate had showed how well they paint up and they are great for the Fire as She Bares rules I mentioned.

Tumbling Dice ships in general are very nice and worth speaking to if you are at a show/convention when they are there.
Mr Brown

Postby paintinglittlesoldiers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 pm

I have several sets of the Pirates of the Spanish main as they flooded the auction sites a year ago, Not bad for a quick pick up game but we are going to use the ships and try some different rule-sets.

I have been hooked on fantasy naval since Book 2 of Lone Wolf when the Drakkirim ambushed the Green Sceptre

paintinglittlesoldiers

Return to The War Room