How hard or soft do you like your scifi?

Discuss the most unrealistic aspects of your favorite war games

How hard or soft do you like your scifi?

Postby Nordic weasel games » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm

From "hard" military scifi to pulpy space opera, where do you tend to prefer your gaming?
Writer and designer of games ranging from black powder to laser guns.

http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/ ... asel-Games
Nordic weasel games

Re: How hard or soft do you like your scifi?

Postby mcfonz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm not sure the two are always different.

Compare the original BSG to the more recent series. The original is far more space opera, more concepts of what future fashion would be etc, an edge that over time dated it quite a lot. Whereas the newer series is arguably far more hard fi, with more 'familiar' feeling uniforms. The troops looked more like near future military types than far fetched future types.

So for me it varies. It depends upon the story and how it all fits together.

But when it comes to games, I prefer more modern sci fi than say some of the pulpy sci fi (1930's-50's) take on sci fi.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby soldado » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Im quite prepared to play either way, I play Gruntz or Laserstorm (only a couple of times) for my scifi fixes and as gruntz is really open to interpretation I fought off space wasps and giant worms with my GEV tanks, doesnt get much sillier than that.

so I guess i fall into the pulpy side of things
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby mcfonz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 pm

I don't think giant worms and space wasps have to be pulpy - star wars has them, and I wouldn't say it's pulpy so to speak.

When I hear "sci fi space pulpy" I think of things like these:

But I do like mini's like these:
And I don't consider them pulpy, I could be very wrong though (me, wrong :o shock horror).
mcfonz

Postby countersunk81 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 am

Definitely the modern/gritty end.
I like the aesthetic of pulpy stuff, some designs can be great, but I prefer it to admire rather than game with I think.
countersunk81

Postby ALizardInCrimson » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 am

all of the above
caffeine. cold dead hands. blah blah blah. you get it
ALizardInCrimson

Postby Cait Sidhe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 pm

mcfonz wrote:I don't think giant worms and space wasps have to be pulpy - star wars has them, and I wouldn't say it's pulpy so to speak.

I get what you mean about the old school ray gun style pulp stuff being the first thing that comes to mind but Star Wars is VERY pulpy. I mean folks are running around in a sci-fi setting using swords and magic.

As for me it varies. For space opera based stuff I tend to fall on the soft side, alien races ala Star Trek and what-not with teleporters and weird gear and weapons. I'm also a big fan of cyberpunk for general sci-fi stuff though which falls more on the hard and gritty side, though cyberpunk is kinda it's own thing altogether.

Kinda opposite of Sol in that I love The Expanse which is pretty hard sci-fi but have no real incentive to game it, would be a bit close to historicals with shiny space combat armour for me.
Cait Sidhe

Postby mcfonz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 pm

I agree, there's almost a harder-fi end of the scale to 'pulpy' stuff, and I guess I am cool with that. The older more raygun stuff, as you say, is the stuff I don't really enjoy the aesthetic of for wargaming.

I mean, I'll watch Flash Gordon, the older versions as well as the camp '80's version for giggles etc, much like Masters of the Universe . . . . . but neither inspire me to game them or in that style.
mcfonz

Return to The War Room