Board Game Suggestions for Kids

Defend Kamchatka, Trade Sheep for Ore, and Mortgage Marvin Gardens. Board Games, Card games, and other tabletop games galore.

Board Game Suggestions for Kids

Postby AKULA » Tue May 20, 2014 10:29 am

What board games have you tried with your kids in terms of setting them on the slippery path that is wargaming?

:D

Risk - lots of dice rolling, basic principles of concentrating on a weaker opponent. Still a family favourite.

Zombies - easy to pickup, and the random card generated terrain kept their interest for a while. Haven't bothered with the expansions mainly as there is plenty else to try.

Wings of Glory - ok, it has aircraft models as well. Simplified the rules a little to make even quicker, but a firm favourite with my daughters as much as my son.

x-Wing - my son loves it, but the girls aren't bothered despite enjoying the films.

Thinking of Axis & Allies as the next one to introduce. Already playing plenty of skirmish games alongside the board games, using homegrown rules, and the kids have started writing their own as well.

Any other suggestions?
AKULA

Re: Board Game Suggestions for Kids

Postby Voltan » Tue May 20, 2014 10:43 am

Settlers?
Voltan

Postby Israel Hands » Tue May 20, 2014 10:52 am

Hmm, my youngest is only 5 so at the moment he's on "Hey That's My Fish" and the Gruffalo game. However, my eldest is 16 and when he was growing up he really enjoyed Wings of War and some of the Heroclicks stuff. Also there was a cracking little spaceship game called Rocketmen which had little ships built out of little pieces of plasticard. Only downside to that was that it was that collectible bullshit which I fucking hate.

If you can get hold of it though, I'd firmly recommend Heroscape. Great rules (both basic and advanced) loads and loads of different units and plastic hex terrain which is fun to put together and looks pretty fucking sweet:

You can usually find a fair amount on e-bay although some of it's quite pricey these days.

They also did a Marvel version (which I never got hold of) that looked pretty cool and is also compatible with all the other stuff. There are also tons of alternate layouts online and some nice little terrain building utilities so you can tell the program what sets you've got and it will only make those pieces available for you to build a board. Then you turn it into a PDF and it prints it with all the instructions on how to build up each layer.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Carcassone is fairly cheap and easy enough for kids to get into. I also picked up King of Tokyo the other week which is quite good. Basically just a knockabout game of giant monster punching each other in the face but its got a nice dynamic with 3 or more players and a decent sense of humour.
"Not gods, but Englishmen, the next best thing"

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

Not related to KingSkin on FU:UK

Israel Hands

Postby Mr Tough Guy » Tue May 20, 2014 11:32 am

Settlers of Catan (+ expansions) is the one the whole family likes, and is easy enough that my 7 year old niece has started playing with us (and beating us).
Carcassone is also great, have not played that with kids yet but shouldn't be to hard for kids to get the hang off, although would be interesting to see if they will get the full stategic gameplay of easy points now vs more points at the end of the game.
Mr Tough Guy

Postby mcfonz » Tue May 20, 2014 1:35 pm

The kids at work likes the dungeon and dragons boardgame . . . not sure if you can get it anymore so possibly one for ebay searches, but it's normally not too expensive.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Israel Hands » Tue May 20, 2014 1:54 pm

mcfonz wrote:The kids at work likes the dungeon and dragons boardgame . . . not sure if you can get it anymore so possibly one for ebay searches, but it's normally not too expensive.

On that score, Descent: Journeys In The Underdark could be a good bet. It's quite pricey but you gets tons of figures with it, loads of characters and modular dungeon boards. It's a bit like Heroquest/Advanced Heroquest but with more interesting characters and monsters. Also got tons of expansions so you can keep building it up if they get hooked.

I've got a copy of the D&D boardgame around somewhere that I could probably be tempted to part with if you can't find it anywhere else.
"Not gods, but Englishmen, the next best thing"

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

Not related to KingSkin on FU:UK

Israel Hands

Postby Mr Tough Guy » Tue May 20, 2014 2:35 pm

on that note Talisman might also be a good one, not sure if that's in print at the moment but that was always great fun.

Also Munckin comes to mind, I've personally never played the boardgame, but if it's half as much fun as the cardgame it could be good, and even the cardgame might be good, it does introduce some of the classic dungeon crawl mechanics
Mr Tough Guy

Postby mcfonz » Tue May 20, 2014 2:51 pm

I was going to say Munchkin as well, keep meaning to get the card game myself as it is fun with gamers and non gamers alike.

I think a newer version of Talisman is available now, unless I am mistaken. Possibly through someone like Fantasy Flight games.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby the imp » Tue May 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Munchkin is way better with booze and dirty jokes, but I think the text is PG and Kovalic's art is very appealing to children. I don't think it's much of an intro to wargaming though. More of a geek culture inoculation. What about one of the Hero-Clix options? They tend to scale pretty well, so a couple starters and the kids can get to the game.
Pushing threads to page 2 since 2001.

So...what do you think of that model?
the imp
Minister of Scouting

Postby Demonetrigan » Tue May 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Castle Panic - Great Co-operative game, especially with the the Wizards tower expanison

Takenoko - a great fun game that both my sons love....and frequently beat me at.

Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert - both excellent games with simple rules but surprising complexity in gameplay

Smallworld

King of Tokyo
Demonetrigan

Postby geronimo » Fri May 23, 2014 8:15 am

Unspeakable Words went down well with our two (girls) but it's probably more learning disguised as gaming than you're after...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2430 ... able-words
geronimo

Postby Jez » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:45 pm

My boy loves Memoir 44. Easy to pick up, with advanced rules if you need them. Works on the Command and Colours system. If you want girls involved, try Mice and Mystics. Its great for kids in that it is a co-op game, so no sulking because somebody beat them. My girl loves the cute story side of it, but wouldn't entertain a typical D&D game. Rivet Wars is very popular in my house as well.
Jez

Postby countersunk81 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:41 am

Smallworld and Takenoko have been on my radar for a while, want to try those.

You could have a look at Krosmaster, that's a grid based combat game and the design of it looks fantastic.

If you like Zombies!!! Zombicide takes it a step further and can be a blast with a few of you as it's cooperative.
countersunk81

Postby EX-F » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:27 am

My three like playing the Dungeon board game. It says 8+ on the box but IIRC my youngest starting playing it earlier.

They also love playing the card game Braggart as does my usual gaming group.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72420/braggart
I was me, but now he's gone.
Member #2 of the PLACWOC club.
EX-F

Postby soldado » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:45 am

A bit of Threadromancy here.

Im looking for a couple of boardgames I have a copy of munchkin, but im looking for something a bit more co-operative. Dungeon looks good but in the 2 years since this was discussed what else has been released that may interest a 6 year old?
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby countersunk81 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:42 am

Kodama is fun, and we've played this with kids and grown-ups:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181810/kodama-tree-spirits
countersunk81

Postby TwoGunBob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm thinking back here cause once my kids could count to twelve things went off the rails pretty quickly as far as games went. I can remember playing Maul of America with them and they could barely read but I wouldn't suggest that game ever. It was a bad Ebay purchase that at least got some use thankfully.

I want to suggest Shadows Over Camelot as that has been the go to cooperative game of choice for years now. The cards involve reading but the secrecy aspect of the game can be reduced/eliminated if you remove the TRAITOR option. That game has been really good as a team building exercise for my kids and their friends. They've now moved on to Dead of Winter which is very similar but more adult oriented in subject matter.

Pandemic is another one in the cooperative vein I'd suggest. After a number of games we got a bit more formulaic in approach so it's not as tense after awhile. I think it's a pretty excellent game.

If you're looking for a super easy intro game that builds into gaming in general and doesn't have to keep attention spans too long, I'd suggest Ticket to Ride as well. That's the game for when my brother and sister come over as they can't sit still for a board game for more than 45 minutes.

This stuff doesn't really fold into wargames but they're good building blocks for rules being in place.

Or you could teach them Diplomacy so that they can start hating their fellow gamers right off the bat and never trust anyone ever again.
TwoGunBob

Postby soldado » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Kodama looks good and got the interest of my Miyazaki fan missus.

Shadows over Camelot looks good and has the added option of the traitor element.

Ticket to ride has a lot of internet chatter so will look into that as well.

Diplomacy once led to someone storming out of the gaming club shouting over his shoulder, "I thought you were my friends!" he hasn't ever come back. so no maybe not just yet.
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby Voltan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:59 pm

soldado wrote:Diplomacy once led to someone storming out of the gaming club shouting over his shoulder, "I thought you were my friends!" he hasn't ever come back. so no maybe not just yet.

Save that for their teen years maybe.
Voltan

Postby Mr Tough Guy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:39 am

I've been playing a lot of Tokaido recently, with my two nieces and the rest of the family, it's a very enjoyable game with easy gameplay, and if you can find the deluxe version it even has some nice al be it cartoony minis
Mr Tough Guy

Next

Return to Board Stiff