WFRP a la Fate Core

Put on your robe and wizard hat, and get down and dirty with your favorite RPG

WFRP a la Fate Core

Postby Casinha » Thu May 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi folks, first post, sorry if it's the wrong place, but I think I've found the right sub-forum.

I'm running a WFRP campaign, The Thousand Thrones, but recently watched a video on Fate Core, the kickstarted 4th edition of the Fate system. I'm considering using the Fate Core system for the campaign instead as it seems to promote an interesting, fluid narrative. I adore the setting of the Old World, but WFRP's system, while easy to understand, is rigid in comparison. It's also downright punishing. That's not a bad thing, it's the Old World after all, but it's easy to get bored of it. All the great roleplaying in the world will gradually fade as less than 50% chances of doing something make scenarios repetitive and longer than they need to be (you can roleplay around that, but if I have to put that much effort in to avoid a negative aspect of the system why not just adopt a system that promotes and feeds off it). WFRP has always been way better at representing the social and investigative aspects of rpgs so I'm hoping a more narrative-friendly system will be a plus more than a minus.

Anyhoo, reason I'm making a topic for it is I'd like to know if anyone's been in a game using the Fate Core system. Is it any good? Is it too reliant on people being great roleplayers? Can you think of anything integral to the WFRP system that would need to be adopted when playing using Fate Core? Fate Points are key stones in WFRP and I'm not certain Fate Core has its own magic system, but would it be missing anything else? Does it seem like a good fit for WFRP?
Last edited by Casinha on Thu May 11, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casinha

Re: WFRP a la Fate Core

Postby manatic » Thu May 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi Casinha, welcome!

I swear by Fate Core, it's my go-to system for pretty much any RPG at the moment. It makes for interesting, story-driven games where exciting stuff happens. It does require a bit of adjustment from the more mechanical-minded player, but I've found that people pick it up fairly easily. It also promotes roleplaying - or more accurately, building an interesting narrative.

Fate Core's very abstract, so adapting WFRP shouldn't be very difficult. For example, in our Fate Core Shadowrun we played very loose with magic - sometimes it functioned like any weapon (rules-wise) and sometimes differently, according to the situation. Fate Core relies on interesting characters with interesting weaknesses, which should fit WFRP something wonderful!

Here's a good review of the system: http://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2013/ ... -core-rpg/
manatic

Postby mcfonz » Thu May 11, 2017 6:49 pm

The last rpg campaign I played was using the Fate system. It was probably the most enjoyable experience I have had in regards to roleplaying.

As always the games master is key, but the emphasis, as manatic says, is on players building narrative.

I like that a player can try to use a single skill in various ways.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Casinha » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks for the link, manatic, informative and got me excited to use it. Kind of wondering if it's worth using the skills in WFRP considering there are so many for so many different scenarios, but I suppose the defaults provided by Fate Core should cover it? Maybe with some distinction between melee/ranged and different types of knowledge?

Glad to hear it was enjoyable, mcfonz, can't wait to try it out.
Casinha

Postby mcfonz » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 pm

I look forward to seeing how much fun you guys have.

Also, if it is of any use to you guys, the chat-room - effectionately called the "shed" has a channel for each board there is on here. It has a die rolling mechanic along with other rpg aspects such as describing what you want to do etc. Feel free to use that if you and your group find that useful. If you need a hand getting to grips with it, just pop into the main channel and one of the resident shedites will help.
mcfonz

Postby manatic » Thu May 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Fate core's basic skill set should have you covered, and it's easy to add or substitute others. You can download Fate Core for free (in case you didn't know it already), read through it and then decide how much money you want to shell out for it:

https://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php ... 138lghffu6

I suggest you download it and have a browse if you haven't yet!
manatic

Postby Casinha » Thu May 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Oh, never noticed that, wish I'd found that before I bought the bundle on Drive Thru RPG :D Cheers for the heads up, though.
We're roll20 regulars, so originally I was planning on running it via that, but it really does seem as though face-to-face is the best way to get a fast-paced, natural narrative.
Casinha

Postby mcfonz » Fri May 12, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah - face to face is always best because you can include real props. Also the influence of beer!! The campaign I took part in featured five of us dotted about the world - 2 in different time zones in the US, 2 in th uk and one in Germany. We used hangouts with a roleplaying attachment I believe.
mcfonz

Postby Casinha » Fri May 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Beer makes every rp session better. Don't know if you've heard of it or used it, but roll20 is a great online chat room/map/character sheet manager for games that involve a load of people that can't meet up. You can pay for the dynamic lighting and other miscellaneous stuff if you want to, but it's free normally and you can upload your own assets. I don't know how good its voice chat is, though, we just use TeamSpeak and mute anything from roll20.

My players aren't enthusiastic about switching systems, so I may stick with WFRP's but see if I can bring in some of the funkier aspects of Fate Core and just fudge them in to make narrative easier.
Casinha

Postby mcfonz » Fri May 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Hmmm, that's a shame.

I might be worth giving them little bites of what Fate is like, perhaps after a bit of dungeoneering they visit a temple which operates in a different dimension / chaotic - give them a one or two room experience of how Fate works, see if they like it. If they don't it doesn't matter, they've tried it. If they do, then you could propose a switch. If they do but don't want to switch systems, you could continue with using Fate in various repeated scenarios, so other such temples etc.
mcfonz

Postby Casinha » Fri May 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Yeah, I was considering running some exposition one-shots using the Fate Core system, actually. So for example they might have to investigate the history of an old ruin or something by asking someone who went there, but instead of just having dialog I'll actually run it as a short flashback one-shot.
Casinha

Postby manatic » Fri May 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Sounds like a great idea! Let use know how it turns out if you end up doing it.
manatic

Postby Artemis Black » Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 am

manatic wrote:Fate core's basic skill set should have you covered, and it's easy to add or substitute others. You can download Fate Core for free (in case you didn't know it already), read through it and then decide how much money you want to shell out for it:

https://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php ... 138lghffu6

I suggest you download it and have a browse if you haven't yet!

Nice, downloaded myself for a nose.

My inevitable own RPG system will likely be influenced more heavily by WFRP 1st and 2nd ed but always open to new system ideas.
Artemis Black
Kickstarter Slayer

Postby Elder Thingy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:23 am

Maybe you already know this, but rights for WFRP have been sold to Cubicle 7 who are going to produce two rulesets, the first one is the Old World version, ie. 4th edition, might use a modified version of the 2nd edition with bits from the 1st; the second is for the Age of Sigmar nonsense that WFB apparently is nowadays. Uses different rules etc. apparently. Not much info at the moment as it's early days, but there's a news thread for both on C7 forums: http://forums.cubicle7.co.uk/viewforum. ... e47acd5a4a

Don't know if this is going to help you any, if you do not like the 2nd edition rules, but apparently they might actually try to solve some of the inherent issues (like swift attack being basically the only worthwhile action once you get multiple A) in it, and introduce the 'feel' of the 1st edition a bit more?
Elder Thingy

Postby Casinha » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:56 am

Ooh, no I didn't know they were doing that. To be honest, an RPG set in Age of Sigmar could be what it takes to make the setting shine. Dimension-hopping shenanigans as the multi-verse collides, but in a fantasy setting.
Casinha

Postby Artemis Black » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Casinha wrote:Ooh, no I didn't know they were doing that. To be honest, an RPG set in Age of Sigmar could be what it takes to make the setting shine. Dimension-hopping shenanigans as the multi-verse collides, but in a fantasy setting.

No.
Artemis Black
Kickstarter Slayer

Postby mcfonz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Arty, this is an RPG discussion, so you will need to role using your speech level to see if you successfully convince the DM. Also, whilst you're at it, you may need to roll to see if you can break the 4th wall and speak to him first.
mcfonz

Postby Elder Thingy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:45 am

Apparently is WFRP 4 will be released this year already? (Dunno about the AOS stuff)
Elder Thingy

Return to Wizard's Sleeve