Community terrain build-a-long 1 (Dec'14): Anything goes!

Share your Terrain and Scenery Projects

Re: Community terrain build-a-long 1: Anything goes!

Postby mcfonz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Hmmm, it does look like a nice basis for a building like a fast food restaurant etc. I have seen people use a fine grade of sand paper to represent asphalt on roofs etc.

I can see this looking rather nice once you have applied your vision to it.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby EX-F » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 pm

That sandpaper suggestion sounds promising although I might just be lazy and used textured paint after laying down a layer of plasticard to cover the joins.
I was me, but now he's gone.
Member #2 of the PLACWOC club.
EX-F

Postby blackfly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:30 am

Bolstered up by my minor success of completing my infantry unit ~6 months after the deadline, I've decided to up the ante and add a second project to my terrain goal for this build-along. In addition to the very high bar I set with the sacks of potatoes shown earlier, I've just cleaned and based a set of nice drystack walls from Mini Monsters. basic sand done, and ready for priming this tomorrow or saturday, once the PVA dries:

Hopefully I don't regret taking on two exceedingly easy projects that most people could turn out in weekend, and will be able to pull them both off in the time table that McFonz has set. :)
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work

Join the conversation in The Shed

The hole is only as deep as you dig it.
-AKULA
blackfly

Postby blackfly » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:11 am

Done!

Silly little scenic / objective marker: sacks of potatoes

-AKULA
blackfly

Postby EX-F » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:32 pm

I've made a bit of progress with the building I've been working on. Filler, green stuff and plasticard have been randomly applied to try and disguise the join and connector holes.

I made a bit of a mistake when priming - I found I was all out of Halfords red primer so decided to use some army painter red I had knocking about. It is truly horrible stuff and I will now have to be very careful to hide all of it when painting the darned thing.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions or links to tutorials for painting the glass?

I have two more buildings made from the Mantic scenery tiles but I'm holding back the photos in case I don't get them completed by the deadline.
I was me, but now he's gone.
Member #2 of the PLACWOC club.
EX-F

Postby blackfly » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:37 am

Stage 2 on my walls:

Next I need to go back and pick out some stones in a different base color and highlight them up with browns and reds, as a precaution against 'all stones are grey' disease. . . . a condition to which I often succumb out of convenience.

But as usual, it is plenty tempting to just wash these in greens and browns, and consider them done enough to start on foliage and ivy etc.

edit-----

Oh, and I did take some proper pics of my potato sacks, while I had my wife's fancy camera set up at the light box the other night for Boudicca. Not that they look much better, for officialness sake, here they are:

-AKULA
blackfly

Postby blackfly » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:41 am

EX-F wrote:Does anyone have any useful suggestions or links to tutorials for painting the glass?

I don't have anything step-by-step handy, but I can tell you what I've done in the past, and show you the result. .

I've usually stuck with the 'glass is blue, even though we all know its not' approach. I try to keep the shading pretty dramatic: lots of black in the lower corners, then a good saturated medium blue for the middle. A little light blue for the corner opposite the black.

Then either thinned down and quick angled hatching with nearly-white-but-a-little-blue streaks. Or I highlight in an L shape around the top and one side as well. I don't usually take it to a super-crisp glare or anything, but just a little directional brightness. Depends on the size. Most of what I've don has been small panels on medieval leaded windows, so not much room to do too much.

Admitedly, I've never spent too much time on making it look awesome or anything... very much a 'looks good from gaming distance' approach is all I've ever felt motivated enough to do.

Some examples that might give you an idea of where I went with it:

I know windows aren't really blue, but we're all used to seeing blue sky reflected in them enough that I think it parses for most people. Either way, thats about as much effort as I can be bothered with spending on them :)

Hope that helps, either as inspiration, or a cautionary tale. :lol2:

-AKULA
blackfly

Postby blackfly » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:55 am

And my walls are done too! More pics here

-AKULA
blackfly

Postby countersunk81 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 am

Those walls have come out lovely, well worth the effort
countersunk81

Postby phreedh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:05 am

Best sacks of potatoes I've ever seen. :froth:
phreedh

Postby Mati » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:43 am

EX-F wrote:Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me with filler and green stuff to try and disguise all those connector holes and the joins between the panels. They didn't seem to matter so much on the sci-fi stuff but they just look out of place on "real world" buildings.

Get some white putty from squadron products, cures super fast and is great for filling stuff like that and seams. Since I got that stuff I don't use anything else for fillinf gaps. Files and sands great!
One day on Mercury lasts about 1408 hours, just like any Monday on earth...
Mati

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Well, I missed the dealine and I'm still not finished, but bar a few windows and some slap I'd at least got this far:

The model is 900 mm long, 360 mm high and 300 mm deep. IOt is slighty more finished than this last pic (it has sand on it now) but for the thread's purposes done is done :)
Badger Loving Fluffster

Postby countersunk81 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:36 pm

What, you didn't finish ;)
That's going to be incredible, love it already!
countersunk81

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm going to go get some slap for it later on. Not sure poster paints are the right way to go, but GW/VGC is way too expensive... Maybe craft acryllic?
Badger Loving Fluffster

Postby countersunk81 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Yeah, I guess they exposed foamcore won't like sprays :s
Craft acrylic is probably a good shout - somewhere like The Works or The Range normally does pretty reasonable big tubes.
countersunk81

Postby Ajsalium » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:35 pm

You may want to have a look at this LAF thread, Ben:
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=71097.0

'Cause he has found a spray that can be used with foam.
Ajsalium

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Ajsalium wrote:You may want to have a look at this LAF thread, Ben:
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=71097.0

'Cause he has found a spray that can be used with foam.

Cheers for that

Funnily enough I have been using a mixture of spray paint and craft acrylics today at lunch and neither have cocked it up yet :) (the acrylic paints are much cheaper than the sprays, but less even coverage so all swings and roundabouts)

Hopefully I'll get the base colours down on this tonight and move on to building some details into the other sections of the board
Badger Loving Fluffster

Postby mcfonz nli » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:03 am

I shall try and get a photo of mine tomorrow. I didn't manage to build it and paint it all but it's built, undecoated and the paint work has begun. There are things I will probably add to it at a later date such as items under the gantry to make it look a little less bare. Although some figures do fit under it so I won't clutter it up too much.

I love the stuff seen in this thread. Badger - the castle is simply ace. I keep thinking of making my own small border fort type fantasy castle based around the one Ian Mountain did for GW's LotR games. I might have to give it a go. The question is whether I go the scoring card/foam board route or get some textured plasticard, at the moment, your way is far more inspiring! :froth: :froth: :froth: :froth:
mcfonz nli

Postby mcfonz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Right, having just looked at the painting one, I have decided to extend this until Sunday 4th January 2015, mainly because I wanted to do an anything goes for the last month of the year. So if people want to start something else that they can get done inside a month then go for it!!!

Rather embarissingly it gives me a little extension to get my bloody thing done - although this was not the primary reason for extending it, no, honestly it really wasn't. What do you mean my nose is growing?!! How dare you?!! I'm off to the shed!
mcfonz

Postby mcfonz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:13 pm

So, I recently slapped some more paint onto the air purifier or whatever it is that Roger cleverly called it and I can't remember!

It's not finished, but it is useable as is on the table top I think, if I needed to press it into action. I really need to grubby it up a bit yet. And add colours to a few of the details like key pads etc.
mcfonz

PreviousNext

Return to Platypus in their natural habitat