Pirate terrain board (updated 7.12.17)

Share your Terrain and Scenery Projects

Re: Pirate terrain board (updated 6.1.)

Postby manatic » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:06 am

I'm currently considering the fate of this board - not the project itself but the board(s) specifically. After seeing the Deep Cut Studio beach mat, I'm really tempted to just go with that and save myself a lot of work. It would be easier to store, nicer on minis and so on. It would probably be fairly compatible with the stuff I have at the moment, and the couple of boards I've made could probably be cut up for hills etc. Any thoughts?
manatic

Postby mcfonz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:55 am

I think it all depends upon what you intend to do with it.

If it is purely for personal games, ease of storage and transportation then mats are a good way to go. Realistically I could have used one at salute and it probably wouldn't have detracted too much from the table.

The only real issue is that height wise, you can only build upwards, where as when you make boards, you can also build down, if that makes sense - you have more options for ground height - but again, this may not be an overall issue.

It's also a lot quicker to "throw down" and you can more or less use it on any surface. I have been tempted by mats myself.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby manatic » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Good point on building up/down! In this case it wouldn't be that big of a problem though, as I don't have any dungeon plans or similar. I played some games last weekend on a printed mouse mat, and was really surprised with how good it looked. Made me a near-instant convert. This beach mat looks lovely:

manatic

Postby levied troop » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:47 pm

As I saw that photo I thought it was your sculpted board and I was ready to chuck mine in the skip, it looks stunningly good.

I'm making something similar in sculpted boards for a demo and really wondering if I made the right choice, that mat looks brilliant.

The big plus for the mat is storage. And transport, which for a demo game might be a clincher.

The big plus for boards is depth, not necessarily another basement/dungeon/cave level - you can always use a separate mat for that - but in the small scale relief where the beach and the land slope slightly upwards, where small tracks might be sunk into the board, the odd sand dune might rise up.

And texture. The micro level relief provided by scatter and flock does improve the overall look.

But that mat looks damn good.

On balance, for my demo game I'm going to stick with sculptured boards for a fleeting public 'oooh' factor, but I have a horrible feeling I'll be chucking them in a skip in a years time, resenting the waste of space, time and money, whereas that mat's a keeper.
levied troop

Postby manatic » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 am

Those observations pretty much echo my thoughts. I do like the three dimensionality of the sculpted boards and the look and feel of static grass etc, but on the other hand the texture can be a killer for minis knocked over. The beach slope is something I was planning to do, so definitely hear you on that - plus I was looking forward to some water effects as well.

Storage is definitely becoming an issue though, already with only two size-wise identical tiles. I dread to think what a few additional tiles (plus more irregular ones for sloping beach, water and so on) would add to that. Also, while the table-building is fairly fun stuff, it takes a lot of time and effort that I could spend on other projects.

I've decided to take a dip - not a plunge yet - and ordered samples of the mat from Deep Cut. That way I can see if they match my existing stuff and how they look like in real life.

Seeing the mat in use on LAF was definitely a big inspiration:

As it's meant for Normandy I guess, I was thinking that to enhance the Caribbean vibe I could ask Deep Cut to do some customization, like lightening the water to a more turquoise hue and making the sand a bit whiter. We'll see when the samples arrive!
manatic

Postby 6milPhil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:50 pm

I think that works well as is, bearing in mind the channel is usually this colour... Image

...if not just slate grey...
6milPhil

Postby manatic » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Yeah, the mat would be great for Normandy. I'm looking a bit more for this:

manatic

Postby ADB » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:33 am

Flames of war have two mats that may be a starting point http://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store ... ryID=13451

The problem is the size is not listed and they look very small in the pictures...

Edited to add:

Just found this http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5167 120cm wide by 38cm deep
ADB

Postby manatic » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Cheers ADB, those might be too small as well.

Received my sample from Deep Cut today, lovely quality but sadly the colour's not right for a Caribbean setting, so I'll keep looking. I remembered I have an old Zuzzy mat just sitting in a corner unused, so my next plan may be to repaint that - it's currently a very dull, generic gray to be used in scifi gaming. It has a lovely texture to it and it's kind on minis too.
manatic

Postby manatic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I picked up a terrarium decoration piece at the local pet store...

gave it a makeover...

and added it to my project:

With write-up here.
manatic

Re: Pirate terrain board (updated 7.12.17)

Postby ADB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm

That works really well.
ADB

Re: Pirate terrain board (updated 7.12.17)

Postby steders » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:11 am

Lovely looking stuff on this thread. I've got a pile of pirates to paint. must get them done at some point
steders

Previous

Return to Platypus in their natural habitat