Sci Fi Folly

Share your Terrain and Scenery Projects

Sci Fi Folly

Postby Rev Nice » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:40 pm

I know this is like asking a pack of Werewolves whether to send the villagers home with a packed lunch or have them as a packed lunch but I really can't make my mind up.
Remember the big fuckoff Necromunda Hive featured in an old White Dwarf?
About 4 foot tall and made from polystyrene packaging. Well, I've come into possession of a quantity of that very substance...
So far I've made a start on one structure about 25 inches high. It makes a nice sizable piece of terrain that can be used with the other stuff I'm currently building.
What I'm wondering though is whether to continue building up this one piece or use the rest of the stuff to make other structures for the city.
One moment I think of doing one option, the next, the other and back and forth and upstairs and downstairs and sideways with knobs on. I don't fucking know anymore!
So, in the wise tradition of putting one's cock into the hands of a lunatic with a pair of scissors, I thought I'd canvass some views from the Platypus horde.

Do I build onwards and upwards or is it better for storage and playability if I use it to create multiple structures?
Rev Nice

Re: Sci Fi Folly

Postby soldado » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:45 pm

I'd suggest a "centerpiece" section and then some other smaller pieces. And dont forget we want pics.
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby the imp » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Multiple structures of equal height with catwalks, gantries, cable bundles, and plumbing between would look good and add some interesting tactical options like choke points and whatnot. Maybe an elevated train track while you're at it, but gothiced-up and graffitied over. Ooh! And you could top them with a landing pad with or without a cargo lifter, a crane, a power plant, or a communications array to add useful objectives as well as an exciting design element.

On the other hand, moving between structures to achieve objectives is a pain in the ass and makes for boring turns. Nevermind.
Pushing threads to page 2 since 2001.

So...what do you think of that model?
the imp
Minister of Scouting

Postby Nordic weasel games » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:15 pm

I think you'll get far more gMeplay utility out of having a larger number of moderate sized pieces, but one nice centerpiece will really set the table apart
Writer and designer of games ranging from black powder to laser guns.

http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/ ... asel-Games
Nordic weasel games

Postby mcfonz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 am

You could always make it stackable so that you could have them as individual pieces or stacked on top of one another to make a tower . . . . would need a bit more thought but do-able.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Rev Nice » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Ta for the comments.
Smaller multiple structures seem to be the way forward. I like Fonzie's idea of the stackable building and I've been doing something similar to that with some coffee container buildings. Might be able to combine the polystyrene structures too as modular terrain adds some welcome variation for games.
Rev Nice

Postby Rev Nice » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Well, I trust that we can all agree that in the matter of reasonably sized modular terrain, I have failed spectacularly.

Here seen with the industry standard measuring device: a cat.

It now stands just an inch or two over 4 foot.
Yes, yes. Mistakes were made. White Dwarfs were read. Glue was spilled.

The thing that pushed me screaming and laughing over the edge was that I read the original White Dwarf with the polystyrene tower feature. The bit that really got my unsavoury juices flowing was not the references to Necromunda, but to Space Hulk. Apparently, the bloke and his friends used it for both games and one shot was of some terminators encountering Genestealers.
This got me thinking. What if this wasn't some residential block or structure out in the open? What if this was the bowels of a space ship or an underground lab structure like the Umbrella Corporation seems to favour?
So now, I'm thinking of this as the underground levels of a toxic refinery used as a lab/headquarters by whatever forces of vileness I choose for the scenario.

Naturally, I'm also pondering those great old Rogue Trader era dioramas of invaded spaceships with beakie marines fighting Space Orks and Tyranids so there's the danger I might shift theme mid way through. Might even be able to make it combine for both, but I think the urge to fling some toxic gloop at it will probably overcome all.
Rev Nice

Postby soldado » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 pm

That looks like .... fun! yes fun we'll go with that ;)

Keep at it buddy, cant wait to see which direction it goes in, probably all of them if the moggy is anything like mine :D
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby Voltan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:44 pm

soldado wrote:That looks like .... fun! yes fun we'll go with that ;)

I believe the correct term is 'corking'.
Voltan

Postby countersunk81 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:02 am

Awesome. Please hurry up and do more :froth:
countersunk81

Postby manatic » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:50 am

Voltan wrote:I believe the correct term is 'corking'.

Yes Voltan, yes it is. (or something to that effect)

Rev, that looks brilliant. Glad to see you slowly going the sensible, Akky way of terrain building.
manatic

Postby Rev Nice » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Voltan wrote:
soldado wrote:That looks like .... fun! yes fun we'll go with that ;)

I believe the correct term is 'corking'.

The very expression used in WD 207!
Rev Nice

Return to Platypus in their natural habitat