Salute 2018 plans and preperations

Clubs, show dates and meet-ups, and oponent/player finder requests go here!

Re: Salute 2018 plans and preperations

Postby aliensurfer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 pm

if not I'll happily give it a good home ;-)
aliensurfer

Postby 6milPhil » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:19 pm

I like the idea of something compartmental and everyone can do a bit.

Maybe, in part, actually having the same object. Like carriages in a train, or rooms making a building, dungeon, etc, or with Arty's pre apoc caravan park a caravan each.
6milPhil

Postby wait, what? » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:37 pm

for reference, these are the kernel of the simultaneous melee card idea (from WD130, a fine vintage)

Brave you all!
What a superb game this is and will become, my prediction was weak and we will be many more.
Thank you all and see you again here, in breathing life, never where popular opinion dies
- Prodos Shill #4
wait, what?

Postby countersunk81 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:59 am

That's a bit like the system that Freebooter's Fate uses!

I'm up for painting some individual heroes if needs be. I don't think I could handle hordes though :D
countersunk81

Postby wait, what? » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 am

countersunk81 wrote:That's a bit like the system that Freebooter's Fate uses!

I'm up for painting some individual heroes if needs be. I don't think I could handle hordes though :D

I will 100% hold you to that!
Brave you all!
What a superb game this is and will become, my prediction was weak and we will be many more.
Thank you all and see you again here, in breathing life, never where popular opinion dies
- Prodos Shill #4
wait, what?

Postby countersunk81 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 am

:thumb:
countersunk81

Postby manatic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 am

wait, what? wrote:Riddick also suggests Pitch Black with some kind of "stay in the light" mechanic.

Seems short on spectacle though? What makes that board stand out?

Sounds fairly obvious to me - use a covered yet gameable board with bright, focused spotlights (LEDs?) to actually create the areas of light and shadow. It would be a glorious combination of aesthetics and mechanics, and doesn't sound impossible to create. A similar idea could be adapted to a lot of genres/settings - say Victorian horror with safe areas near the gaslights, or a reversed setup with a prison escape and floodlights. Salute's quite brightly lit, so that will pose a challenge though. Maybe a kind of ceiling-like structure above the table to provide shade and to attach the lights to? The raised structure would make it stand out, the wiring and batteries for the lights could be placed on top of the ceiling structure...I can see how this just might work.

The game could be something really simple, in the vein of Pitch Black. A bunch of survivors trying to get from place A to place B, skipping from lit area to lit area. If you get caught in an area of shadow, you're very likely dead - maybe randomize between all characters caught out in the open. Maybe have a couple of survivors for each player so the game doesn't end too quickly with bad luck. The game could easily be done on a continuous drop-in basis - have the players pick from 1 to 3 survivors depending on how long they want to spend playing. Randomize the lights somehow, so that each round or two some turn on and others turn off. Maybe have the players roll a die to see how far their character moves, and give each one a single special rule card ("Flare - the character is safe for this turn, but discard this card"). Players could be given several cards to maximize their chances of winning, just sell it as different difficulty levels or something like that.

Oh, and give each survivor making it through the table a badge, sticker or other token. "I survived the night" or some such. Why not even the model they survive with? That would also make a nice pitch by the way: "Survive the game, get a free painted miniature!"

We'd mostly need minis for the survivors, which would make the workload smaller. A variety of monsters could be placed outside the lit areas to suggest horrors, but wouldn't be necessary. If we gave out the survivor minis, they wouldn't need to be carried back either.

If we decide on something like this, I promise to write and playtest the rules. I got excited just writing this :D

I really loved Akky's Planet of the Apes game, the whole escape thing was really exciting and the game was super quick and easy. I think it's still the only Salute game I've ever played in. Fond memories, obviously.
manatic

Postby wait, what? » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 am

I think covering the oard with some sort of tent structure would be very difficult, and raises a literal barrier for entry. I wondered if it could be done with OSL somewhat - just a really darkly painted board with bright spots, but paint is of course difficult to turn off.
Brave you all!
- Prodos Shill #4
wait, what?

Postby manatic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 am

I was thinking something like building either an open box of sorts, or simply a table-like structure over the actual playing surface. Whether it would block enough light is another question though. Of course just painting the terrain really dark and using really bright spotlights could work to emphasize the contrast.
manatic

Postby mcfonz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 pm

A cheap gazebo might do it. Would certainly draw some attention as well!!

We have loads of great ideas coming thick and fast - love it!!!
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby wait, what? » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 am

Couple more ideas, shed stimulated:

• cloud city - talked about yearsago and certainly has spectacle value, an sf trade station floating in the clouds. Stand it on heavy duty acrylic rods or similar, with appropriate pillow stuffing, perhaps subtle lighting, and if it's even possible a smoke machine of some kind? No idea what game would be.
  • Scarper! The heroes have all been slain. Can the porters, torch bearers and mules escape the triumphant goblin hordes? Will they have any gold to show for it? Big cavernous dungeon pieces for spectacle, all the fun of running away for a game. Remember you don't have to outrun the goblins you just have to outrun one of your mates.

I'm tempted to run the hulk boards back in a different way, and i think the best game idea i have is the command&conquer one but i can't imagine spectacle for that one.
Brave you all!
- Prodos Shill #4
wait, what?

Postby AKULA » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Artemis Black wrote:It is still taking up space in our unit. We can happily visit and have it take up space in your new abode? ;)

I've probably got room for it now...just had a spring clean :D

manatic wrote:I really loved Akky's Planet of the Apes game, the whole escape thing was really exciting and the game was super quick and easy. I think it's still the only Salute game I've ever played in. Fond memories, obviously.

Cheers mate

:beer:
AKULA

Postby 6milPhil » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:29 am

manatic wrote:
wait, what? wrote:I really loved Akky's Planet of the Apes game, the whole escape thing was really exciting and the game was super quick and easy. I think it's still the only Salute game I've ever played in. Fond memories, obviously.

It was a grand table, but I never did find out what the bananas did...
6milPhil

Postby ADB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:20 am

If any one is stuck for a daft (no make that very daft) game idea try

phpBB [media]

I'm thinking Papo / Schleich in size with a rolling road style board...
ADB

Postby mcfonz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:09 pm

:loopy: :rofl:

Well no wonder they don't mention it very often!
mcfonz

Postby Demonetrigan » Mon May 01, 2017 12:08 pm

The new Modiphius Fallout game is tempting :)
Demonetrigan

Postby mcfonz » Mon May 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Demonetrigan wrote:The new Modiphius Fallout game is tempting :)

Very!!
mcfonz

Postby mcfonz » Thu May 11, 2017 8:43 am

Ok, so I have contacted SLWs in view of booking tables for next year. They have informed me that the process to apply for tables opens sometime in August.

Currently, the solid offers we have are from:
- Akula
- Wait, what?

And then there are the other games being mulled around. I wanted to just let you guys know that you have until then to cement an idea for a table and to put it up here. We might be pushed to get three actual tables, I will try but it may be worth doing what we did this year and have two games on the one table maybe, if we can only secure the two. I will go for three.

In reality, with manning Arty's table that would theoretically put us at 4 games . . . . . . .
mcfonz

Postby Rev Nice » Thu May 11, 2017 2:31 pm

mcfonz wrote:In reality, with manning Arty's table that would theoretically put us at 4 games . . . . . . .

Platypus Corner - DO IT!!!!

And get a Platypus banner printed to go round the table or wotnot.
Rev Nice

Postby mcfonz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen - I have received the forms for booking the tables.

I need a quick confirmation of what people would like to do and how big a table size they would like. Things currently look a bit like this:

Table 1) Akula - BSG
Table 2) As yet undecided but I believe we have a couple of very good, viable options such as Ex-F's offer.

It is also worth noting that the Hasslefree table is still to be present and likely manned by myself and Daemon-forge at this point.

We also need to get the forms completed and sent back ASAP, the sooner the better so far as I am concerned.
mcfonz

PreviousNext

Return to One of Us! One of Us! We Accept you!