Place Your Order! Random Platypus Dice 2018

Clubs, show dates and meet-ups, and oponent/player finder requests go here!

Place Your Order! Random Platypus Dice 2018

Postby mcfonz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Right, time to get numbers sorted. Who wants dice and how many? I think we should specify a minimum amount - like 5, to ensure we can actually put in an order.

16mm Spot dice
Opaque: Red, Green, Blue and Black, White & Yellow Yellow and White with black spots all others with white spots
Pearl: Red, Purple, Green, Blue and Black & White All with gold spots except White which has black spots
Marble: Red, Blue, Green, Black, Purple Gold spots
Oblivion: Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Orange Gold spots

Last years looked like this (the colours I have):

The platypus design will be the same as it's nice and simple and will be on the 6. So - please can those of you that want some respond here with amount and colour. I don't have a photo of the colours so probably best to google them using 'dice opaque green' or some such to get an idea. It's a different company so I can't advise on exactly the same colour as last time.

These dice are laser printed same as last year. There is a cheaper option of printed but I'm not sure how that would stand up to dice back knocks and dice cup rumbling!

Sooooo, get your orders in now!

Edit: At this point without knowing number of dice being ordered it's hard to give a price - but the more we order the cheaper they get. I would say a rough estimate is that they will be around £1 each with the lasered design. If cost is a huge problem we can look at the printed costs as they are not far off half the price. Examples - laser first, printed 2nd:

ImageImage
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Re: Random Platypus Dice 2018

Postby soldado » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:53 am

I'll take a dozen in whatever colour is most popular.
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby manatic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:37 am

If the design is the same, I'll skip the dice. I game so little at the moment that my poor dice just sit unused :(
manatic

Postby The Watcher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:20 pm

I will go for £12 worth in any combination of pearl, marble or oblivion, in green, purple or blue.

Hope that makes sense :loopy:
According to Artemis Black, I'm not a "Frother"
The Watcher

Postby mcfonz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 am

manatic wrote:If the design is the same, I'll skip the dice. I game so little at the moment that my poor dice just sit unused :(

I could switch it to the rev platypus as seen on the mug thread?
mcfonz

Postby mcfonz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Just a little bit of news, Blackfly is checking things out with his dice folk again just to see what can be done via them and costs. It seems it may just be easier if we stick to the same pricing model as last year and have the same choice of colours. As usual I will keep you updated.
mcfonz

Postby blackfly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:22 pm

So chessex does engraving, not printing. My guess is that Rev's undead platy is probably too detailed to engrave at that size, or at least and still have it be recognizable. It might be printable like in the 2nd pic here:

Or, maybe we can just use the face or something. I'll mess a bit and photoshop and see if i can come up with something simplified for engraving that doesn't loose the spirit of the original.

A different angle would be matching Mikko's art- black die with white teeth, and a little RP inside the maw or something.

Or we could do the same design on a new color, or the same colors, and just use them more for this years games/promos vs trying to make a big fundraiser out of them. Price is the same up to about 150, with no minimum, so those that want new ones (or missed them last time) can get some, and the rest can go in the gumball machine.
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work

Join the conversation in The Shed

The hole is only as deep as you dig it.
-AKULA
blackfly

Postby mcfonz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 pm

I was considering getting some printed ones as the freebies as they are cheaper. I'll PM you at some point with costs to compare. :thumb:
mcfonz

Postby Rev Nice » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:06 pm

blackfly wrote:So chessex does engraving, not printing. My guess is that Rev's undead platy is probably too detailed to engrave at that size, or at least and still have it be recognizable.

Or, maybe we can just use the face or something. I'll mess a bit and photoshop and see if i can come up with something simplified for engraving that doesn't loose the spirit of the original.

I tried a few quick simplifications to see what it might look like.

Basic (suitable for engraved)

Basic inverse

Colour (suitable for printed)

No idea if these work or not.
Rev Nice

Postby The Watcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Zombie Platy works as mug / t-shirt, but in my opinion not for the dice, prefer the original RP logo

According to Artemis Black, I'm not a "Frother"
The Watcher

Postby blackfly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 pm

I hear ya, The Watcher, I think the platy is pretty hard to beat at that size.

But just out of curiosity, I had chessex make us some samples using Manatic's teeth design for the Xeno's game / shirt, to see what people think, both with and without some RP branding to keep it in the family.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work