Manchester Comic Con 2017

Biceps and Boobs

Manchester Comic Con 2017

Postby EX-F » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:48 am

On Saturday I had the pleasure of attending Comic Con in Manchester. It was more or less a spur of the moment thing so there was no time to plan a costume or anything like that. This was the first time I'd been to a comic con and I really enjoyed it so I don't think it will be the last.

First impressions - it was packed, seriously packed. It took about half an hour just to get in to the venue even with a pre-booked ticket. They do sell priority tickets but they had sold out by the time I decided to go. Inside it was difficult to get to some of the stands due to the sheer volume of people there. Things did calm down a little in the afternoon.

The only real geek events I have been to in the past have been wargames shows and compared to them there was comparatively little to do as there were no games to join in or anything like that. Of course once I got there I realised that a bit of preparation before the event would have been a good idea - various fandom meet-ups were happening in different corners of the venue organised on social media and there were artists from different indie comics happy to chat about things.

The line up of celebrities was a little more low key than some of the bigger events and I missed the interviews with the ones I was actually interested in. In think they posted them up on Facebook anyway so I will go and check them out at some point. Lou Ferrigno, Chris Barrie and Warwick Davies were in attendance but I didn't spot Manu Bennett who was meant to be there.

The cosplayers really made the show for me - they really did go to town and there were so many of them! A huge amount of time and effort had gone into some of the costumes and some of them looked pretty uncomfortable to wear too. All of the cosplayers I asked were more than happy to pose for photographs and Team Rocket even posed with a Pikachu I had bout for my youngest (who was sad not to be able to make it to the event herself).

The con spilled out on to the plaza outside which is where the cosplayers really came into their own posing for photos and uniting with others to do group and action shots.

Afterwards I walked back to the more normal environment of the centre of Manchester and was amused by random cosplayers who had also stopped off to do some shopping. It certainly made for an interesting sight and must have confused a fair number of people.

Imgur Album

And kudos to the many spidermen who made up the Spiderman train web walking around the venue. That put a smile on a lot of faces.

If I go back next year I will put in some more effort in advance and try and find some other like minded fans. Who knows I might even go in costume.
I was me, but now he's gone.
Member #2 of the PLACWOC club.
EX-F

Re: Manchester Comic Con 2017

Postby countersunk81 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Awesome :D
Despite my thorough geekiness I've only been to one small (and really quite rubbish) comic con. I would like to attend one on this sort of scale.
countersunk81

Return to Comics Emporium