Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance

The written word

Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance

Postby blackfly » Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 am

I just realized I only mentioned these books in response to Manatic's post about movies, but they deserve a post here in our (admitedly desolate) book club.

blackfly wrote:You might enjoy The OA from Netflix, Mikko. I have a sneaking suspicion that the 2nd season might fall prey to trying to explain it all, but they did an interesting job setting up some unexplained stuff and expecting you roll with it. It gets a little kooky at times, and I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I appreciated that it didn't spoon feed you /everything/. I'm even more likely to go along with something that might be slightly less up my alley ostensibly, if there /is/ still more room for interpretation, wonder, and mystery.

Also, I know this was about visual media, but I also just finished reading the Southern Reach trilogy, and it was one of the best things I've read in a long time. Despite amazing writing (in the literary, choice of words on the page sense, almost more so than the authorship/story arc/etc sense) one of the beautiful aspects of it is the way the author describes around things at times, leaving it to you to fill in the unknown, indescribable, mysterious things the characters are experiencing. Highly recommended! (also, minor spoiler alert: not a lot of concrete answers are ever presented to the reader :) if you like hard and fast resolution to your SF, you might feel a bit let down).

Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance. All by Jeffrey VanderMeer.

I don't think I've been as fascinated by anyone's writing as much as I am by his so far since Joe Abercrombie. YMMV.
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work