Marvel's Jessica Jones

Suckle At The Cathode Ray Nipple

Re: Marvel's Jessica Jones

Postby EX-F » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:33 am

And done. I really enjoyed that.

Roll on Luke Cage ... or Daredevil season 2 whichever lands first.
I was me, but now he's gone.
Member #2 of the PLACWOC club.
EX-F

Postby Artemis Black » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:14 pm

Mr Tough Guy wrote:Showrunner is actually Melissa Rosenberg, and the writing staff includes a few more females :mrgreen: {quote}

Christ, well they suck. I just looked her up, she was a writer on every Twilight movie. Why the fuck wasn't that mentioned anywhere beforehand :)

Mr Tough Guy wrote:part of what I liked about it is that pretty much everybody is messed up in some way or form, it's the way they deal with it that ultimatly makes them a good or bad guy even if they make some wrong decisions along the way

Oh I can see what they are going for, they've just failed spectacularly. Unless they meant for the lead to be a miserable piece of shit person that I no longer give a flying fuck about, in which case kudos.
Artemis Black
Kickstarter Slayer

Postby Artemis Black » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:55 am

Alright seen it all now, so HUGE spoilers ahead - STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT ALL!

Ok, well it was... good. I am honestly confused by the crazy amount of love it's getting, I am trying not to jump straight to the 'womancentric' angle so I'll just put it down to different tastes for now.

All of the good parts of the show were from the comics really, the only change that was good was Killgrave himself. He's not as deep a character in the comics and 'is' actually purple. Tennant was fantastic which makes it all the more stupid that they wrote themselves into the corner of killing him. Isn't that like Bad Screenwriting 101? Don't kill your amazing vilain. Also don't do it in such an obvious and unsatisfying way.
(In the comics he specifically doesn't rape Jessica, so they added that in too)

I also found the coincidences just kept piling up and dragged me right out of the story. The initial one I already mentioned, tying Jessica to Luke's wife's death was both a stupidly unnecessary contrivance seemingly just for drama the show didn't need and, for me, makes their relationship completely unbelievable now.

Other coincidences are that the cop that showed up turned out to be not only on some kind of super solider serum (I mean Killgrave picked a random fucking cop in NYC!) but is Nuke himself 'and' is tied to the company that is tied to Jessica's powers? That's just 'ridiculous'.

It took 'way' too long, until the final fucknig episode, for anyone to think 'Hmm, maybe I should wear earplugs'. I'd been saying it to Jenn since like episode 3 or something, it's just 'so' obvious a tactic it seems crazy to not have anyone even think of it.

I'm not certain how I feel about his powers being a virus. I can see how that fits in a more grounded show but it made his ability to control people slightly odd. Jessica put him in the room because she seemed to know in advance his powers didn't work over an intercom. But in fact they 'do' work over an intercom if he wasn't inside a hermetically sealed chamber.

In fact, trying to go for a more gounded approach made the other powers on show very odd. Jessica's powers seemed to wander in and out. In the big fight with the stun guns, Jessica was punching guys and they kept coming back, but whenever she felt like it in the rest of the series she could knock people out in just one punch. I also find it odd that she's very strong but not at all durable, you'd think she'd constantly be damaging herself if that was the case. She was run over at one point but then a normal woman knocks her out with a bit of wood.
Luke's eyes being vulnerable is also very odd. I mean explosions would blow his eyes out, and presumably his teeth etc. He was also almost killed by a shotgun blast, which kind of implies he's not invulnerable to the laws of physics and force is passed on through his skin. But that means hitting him with a car would kill him as he'd be a Luke shaped jelly mould after a huge impact. If you have superpowers in a grounded show like this, don't try and explain them etc. it ends up causing more questions than it answers.

Trish was useless until the end. The cops transition to Nuke was pretty rushed and felt forced, which is odd cos there was a fair bit of filler in this series in general so they could easily have put some more of the transition in. I kept waiting for the ex-junkie and sister story to go somewhere and it just petered out. Even Trinity Lawyer's story felt like they couldn't find a good conclusion.

Did the writers of Jessica Jones not watch Daredevil? Surely it was impossible for someone who did to not say 'Hey, you know the old grizzled black guy in our story who's close to retirement and clearly a good guy? Maybe let's not also have him die pointlessly in our story to?'.

Random dumb stuff throughout. The silly anaesthesia shot in the stomach. The guy in the bar who didn't know Luke was invulnerable and stabbed him in the neck with a bottle? I mean in any other circumstance that guy is a murderer and they just sent him on his merry way! Trish letting the cop in. Trish getting knocked out in the big fight so easily. Trish taking the red just to have her not be useless for all 13 episodes and then somehow being able to beat Nuke even though she couldn't outfight him when they were both unpumped and he had a lot more experience with the pills. The dad waking up for exactly one perfectly enunciated sentence and then immediately dying again. Them never calling him the purple man but alluding to it with his favourite colour of clothign was good but then the serum his dad invented just so happened to start to turn him purple? What are the odd *rolls eyes*

One of the biggest problems with the show was the basic premise whereby nobody believed Killgrave existed. There's a Norse fucking God, a giant green CGI monster and a man from World War II who can run faster than a car but they have trouble believing other super powers exist? I mean you don't have to fully get on board but total disbelief was a completely unbelievable reaction from people living in a city where the Avengers fought an alien army.

The whole show felt 'very' padded. It could easily have been done in 10 episodes, maybe even less. Too much repetition of the cat and mouse thing. Too many side stories that led nowhere, or nowhere interesting.

So in conclusion. It's good, I'll watch season 2 but it's not a patch on 'great' shows. It's not on the same level as Daredevil, it's closest comparison.
Last edited by Artemis Black on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artemis Black
Kickstarter Slayer

Postby Artemis Black » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:02 am

Oh and I also was annoyed by the weird rule that you can't mention anyone else in the universe, either TV or Movie, by name. Claire refused to say the word Daredevil. Half the show was about legal matters, in the same area as Daredevil and nobody so much as namedrops Nelson & Murdock. She calls the avengers 'The green guy and the flag waver'?? Aren't these people super famous? They even treated the dumping of her backstory as Jewel as a throwaway joke.
Artemis Black
Kickstarter Slayer

Postby soldado » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:52 am

I get the feeling that you're a tad disappointed.
Producing both eggs and milk, the platypus is one of nature's rare custard machines.
soldado

Postby Artemis Black » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:43 pm

soldado wrote:I get the feeling that you're a tad disappointed.

The odd thing is, despite all that it 'was' good. I guess after Daredevil I was expecting a lot better. So yeah, I'm disappointed. Althoguh as long as the showrunner of this isn't the showrunner of anything else then it doesn't make me overly worried about the rest of the Netflix Marvel family.
Artemis Black
Kickstarter Slayer

Postby blackfly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm enjoying it so far, only 1/2 way in. Wife like it too, which is a plus, as we often diverge in tastes, which relegates a show to watching while I'm on the exercise bike if she's not into it.
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work