Mr Tough Guy

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Postby Mr Tough Guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:35 pm

phpBB [media]
Mr Tough Guy

Postby mcfonz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:56 am

Cannot wait!!!!

This should be a chance for the franchise to really inject a dose of humour into it again. I like the new movies but they defenitely miss the humour that Harrison Ford seemed to bring to the originals, that sort of mix of over confident cocky rogue and the sarcastic quips that are funny but also seem realistic for the moments that they are injected into. I also think we got to see the softer underside to Han at times as well, that the cockyness was compensating for. Probably one of the deepest and most rounded characters IMHO. Hopefully this will just add to his story.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Rev Nice » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Ah the trailers. Everything looks good in the trailers.
Love the trailers. Full of Star Wars-y good things and tidings of great joy.

Then once you've paid yer groats and park your arse on the seat, you think "Fucknation!!! Those cunts got me again!"

The Last Jedi was possibly the Last Straw for me. This may well be the first Star Wars movie I'll wait for a Netflix showing. And I never thought I'd type those words.
Rev Nice

Postby Mr Tough Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:10 pm

I loved all the Disney Star Wars movies so far, even The Last Jedi, it has it's faults but overall I loved it, but I'm a bit worried about this one, everything we've seen so far looks fine but I'm really worried they fuck it up. I mean Lucas himself did his best to try to fuck with Solo with the Special Editions, and that's what has me worried, which Han will we see at the end of this movie, will it be the cold hard scoundrel from the Original Star Wars or the watered down version of the Special Edition.
Mr Tough Guy

Postby mcfonz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 pm

The thing that worries me more is actually the humour.

Harrison Ford has this way of delivering humour in a way that suits the tension and seriousness of the situation. It's what made Han Solo and Indiana Jones.

For me, Solo was never very hard and cold. After all, we find out in Empire that he was running away from debts to Jabba. He's more of a not quite successful scoundrel. A sort of aura of overall failure. By the end of Jedi I think it's fair to say that he is a dark and gritty Del Boy who turns hero despite a lack of belief in his own abilities - backed up by the blagging and lies he tries to tell Ben and Luke in New Hope.

Han is my favourite character of the franchise, perhaps because despite all of his failings, he is probably the most human. His sarcastic remarks are both funny and typically name what we are thinking, bringing the unbelievable odds back down to the ground in situations where others may seem too blindly faithful or force reliant.

The way they could ruin it all is just do a movie without any of that character development, without any explanation of how those traits came to be, how he became the smuggler, gambling his way to the falcon and poorly delivered dead pan sarcastic humour.
My miniature building/painting and gaming blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Artemis Black » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 pm

The movie is ruined by it's very existence. Like the planned Die Hard prequel and pretty much 'any' prequel where we see how the hero of the story was 'before' the story, it'll suck.

The beauty of Han, and john McClaine, is that they were just regular guys dragged into the big story. If they already had a big story 'before' the big story then that sucks.

Also judging by the fact they seem to have reshoot most of the movie, brought in an acting coach for the main lead and swapped directors 'after' the film had finished for the reshoots then the best I can hope for out of this is going to be 'Ooh, look, Star Wars stuff'.
Artemis Black
Kickstarter Slayer

Return to We've Got Movie Sign!